We all know the human body is about 50-60% water and 75% of that water is used by the skin. So naturally it’s vitally important to keep our skin hydrated by drinking water and using moisturizer. Dermatologists recommend using a daily facial moisturizer as part of a good skin care routine.
Facial moisturizers have one primary function keep the skin hydrated and it accomplishes this by one of two ways: Keep water in the skin – occlusive moisturizers, by blocking it from escaping or drawing water to the skin – humectant moisturizers.
Knowing what kind of moisturizer you’re using can be beneficial to your overall health and the health of your skin.
Here are a few tips on Moisturizers
- Drug Store Brands can be just as effective as the Expensive Brands – The FDA considers Moisturizers a cosmetic. Cosmetics are not as regulated as drugs, so those advertised claims may not live up to the hype.
- Apply your moisturizer directly after bathing – applying the moisturizer on barely dry skin helps keep water in the skin at the surface.
- Use a moisturizer with sunscreen – protecting your skin from the sun helps reduce premature aging and other skin related issues.
- Moisturize for the season – In the warmer months you may want something lite with all the heat and perspiration. In the cooler months you might want something a little richer to prevent dryness.
- Experiment – if you don’t have a preferred moisturizer or a moisturizing routine, try out several moisturizers. Of course buy one try it and see if it makes your skin look and feel soft.
Remember moisturizing you skin is as important as drinking those 8 glasses of water.